Who We Are:
All Voting is Local (AVL) launched in 2018 with a vision to build a democracy that works for us ALL. We fight to dismantle barriers to the ballot well before the next election, so that every voter can cast a ballot that counts. For more information about AVL, please visit www.allvotingislocal.org.
About the Role:
AVL seeks a State Communications Director for a campaign to defend and expand access to the ballot by identifying and fighting barriers to the ballot at the local level. The Director will work closely with the Managing Director of Communications to lead an organizational communications strategy for the state-driven work. The Director will manage four regional communications managers and report to the Managing Director of Communications.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the strategy development for AVL’s state communications in Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.
- Support the regional communications managers to build successful campaigns in eight targeted states.
- Collaborate with the Director of State Campaigns to identify new opportunities or challenges.
- Oversee and manage the AVL program’s state media relations operations by developing and maintaining positive working relationships with targeted online, print, and broadcast journalists and other influencers.
- Manage the drafting and editing process of press releases and media advisories, speeches, and other public-facing communications.
- Identify and coordinate rapid response opportunities that further the campaign’s goals.
- Coordinate across the communications and program teams to ensure the campaign conveys clear, consistent messages across all platforms and with key partners.
What You Will Bring:
- A minimum of 10 years of professional communications experience, including at least 3 years managing staff or teams.
- Demonstrated experience in policy/advocacy/government communications ideal with a track record of earned media and messaging.
- Experience working with national and local media including pitching stories, organizing and coordinating public media availabilities, and speaking on-the-record.
- Excellent organizational skills. Must be able to juggle multiple projects across states and issue areas and be adept at providing a rapid response.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, remote work environment.
- Interest in and general knowledge of voting rights issues or elections, programs, and constituencies.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
Reports to: Managing Director of Communications
What We Offer:
The Organization offers its employees a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision coverage, and generous personal leave and vacation time. Employees can also take advantage of Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) and a retirement savings account.
Salary Range– $113,535 – $133,257
Location – This position is currently 100% remote, but candidates living in the Washington, DC area may be asked to return to work in person based on the office’s reopening.
To apply, please email email@example.com with your resume and a cover letter stating why you are applying to AVL and how this role fits in with your aspirations.
Our Commitment to an Inclusive Workplace
All Voting is Local is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability.